Sunday, January 23, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows and Nutella

Heather and I have wanted to try to make nutella (Hazelnut spread) since we found it online.  I also wanted to try making some homemade marshmallows.  Its snowy and cold this weekend making it the perfect opportunity to be in the kitchen.

In December I had found this website post on making marshmallows.  We tried to let Tyler do as much as he could!

Tyler mixed the gelatin and water.  Then he mixed the syrup, sugar and water together before heather boiled it. 041
043 stirring often, heather brought it to a boil.  the instructions said to use a small pan but I found it more controllable with a medium size pan.

After a 1 minute rapid boil we poured it into the gelatin water mixture
we had to mix them on high for over 10 minutes before adding vanilla.

Next time I would use a bigger bowl because this is right at top!

Look we made Fluff!! -------->
045
046


and yes Tyler taste tested  the beaters for me!
we poured it into our 9X13 greased pan.  they said 9x9 pan but boy mine were thick using the 9x13 I can not image the 9x9 size marshmallows

Now they need to set for 4-6 hours. 049

after 5 hours I cut the marshmallows.  It was best to use the Kitchen shears to cut them. I was bummed that I couldn’t cut them with my cookie cutters  Here are the final project after they have been tossed in powdered sugar:

061

I ended up with 2 quart bags full of them.

Now for the Hazelnut spread!  I first found this website on it thus sparking the idea.  after a few google searches I found it on Martha Stewarts website here.  Of course I didn’t follow it exactly, partly because I have bad reading comprehension.  I read to toast and chop the hazelnuts  but it said to blanch remove the skins and toast.  At the store I purchased pre-chopped hazelnuts with the skins on..hmm.  I was not peeling the skins on all the little pieces so we decided to do skin on!!

Makes 1 cup

  • 7 ounces blanched hazelnuts (1 1/2 cups), toasted
  • Coarse salt
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted

First we toasted the hazelnuts and they smelled so nice. 

037 051

then Puree nuts and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until mixture is the texture of peanut butter.  it took about 5 minutes of processing and because we had the skins on it was really dry.  I drizzled in about a tablespoon of canola oil to get it going.

053

Then we added sugar and chocolate; pulse until combined.  once it cooled down we tried!  Amazing! it taste so good.  of course it has a texture because we didn’t get the nuts all the way pureed like they are in Nutella but its so yummy!

057

it is surprisingly simple to do!!  If we were to make it for adults only I think I would add espresso powder just to kick it up a notch.

Emma kept Grammy busy while we cooked.  She took one for the team:

038039

She was wrinkling her nose in the 2nd photo.

No comments: