Sunday, August 28, 2011

Zucchini Freezer Jam

This is so unhealthy – 5 cups of sugar.

I saw this last night while searching the web.  Strawberry Zucchini Jam using 5 cups of shredded zucchini!  I made Cherry zucchini jam!

009

  • 5 cups peeled and shredded zucchini
  • 5 cups white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 (3 ounce) packages cherry flavored gelatin
  • 1/2 package of Freezer Jam Pelican
Directions
  1. Stir the zucchini and sugar together in a large pot over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture begins to boil, about 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and gelatin, and continue simmering 5 minutes more, stirring constantly.  It said this was a soft serve jam, so I tried to add 1/2 package of freezer jam pelican to try to thicken it up.  I think it helped but I will let you know.
  2. Ladle the hot jam into hot, sterilized freezer jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
  3. It said it made 6 jars but I only ended up with 4.  And it was kinda sweet I may try it with 1 cup less sugar next time.  But think of all the flavors you can come up with.

No comments: