Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spicy Ketchup

They way I cook is simple, unless you want to duplicate what I did!  I find a recipe that I like and I start following the directions.  Then I quickly deviate without measuring anything or writing it down.  It’s a dab this and a dash of that style of cooking.  And that is what happened with my spicy Ketchup.

016

It started with this recipe I found on pinterest.  Simple enough right.  Well the recipe call for 28oz of puréed tomatoes.  I had over 96 oz….let the deviation begin!

This made 12 jars of ketchup.  Obviously you would need to try to cut this in half for a more reasonable use but this was perfect for a swap.

what you need (if I remember correctly Winking smile)

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of roasted Garlic
  • 2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 Tablespoon of Horseradish
  • 1 96-oz can tomato purée
  • 1.5 cups brown sugar (I think, I really didn’t even try to measure this)
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 little can tomato paste
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground mustard (I used mustard seed)
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 Tablespoon Chipotle pepper powder

 

Instructions

  1. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion until for 5 to 8 minutes until translucent. Halfway thru cooking the onions add the horseradish, red pepper flakes and garlic and finish cooking Onions.
  2. Add the tomato purée, brown sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, salt, mustard, nutmeg, pepper,and chipotle pepper and stir to combine.
  3. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 90-120 minutes (Smaller batches will take less time) until it is thick like ketchup.
  4. Using an immersion blender, food processor or blender, puree the mixture until smooth.
  5. Adjust seasonings if needed and pour ketchup into a container and seal. Can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.

I really liked it, it taste like normal ketchup but then you realized it had a kick. It was like an after thought!  Enjoy!

No comments: