Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cherry, White Chocolate, and Almond Biscotti

During Sundays Swap, I never took a photo of my Biscotti.  This is the best photo I have {photo credit to the cookie lady!}

379545_3027939745937_1486126084_3135284_11096055_n[1]

See it right here  in the bottom left corner.  Yeah to make it pretty I wrapped the ziplock bags in scrapbook paper and tied them with yarn!

Guess what else I actually followed a recipe!  Okay no not really!  I based it of this Pistachio Biscotti recipe by Tyler Florence. 

Here is what the basic Biscotti calls for:

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract  { I used almond to complement the almonds I was adding to the biscotti}
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Then I really did follow his instructions which read:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. With the mixer running, gradually add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla; mix until creamed. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dough until smooth. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the {Here’s where I made the change= see “filling” below} until evenly distributed.

FILLING :  So he called for 1 1/2 cups of Pistachios.  I used about (yes I just dumped these in so now I am guessing on measurements):

  • 1/2 cup of dried cherries
  • 1/2 cup of White Chocolate chips
  • 1 cup of Raw Almonds

Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut in half. Roll each half into a log, each 12 inches long by 1-inch high. Place the logs on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 35 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly brown. Let the logs cool for 5 minutes and then place on a cutting board. Slice each log on a diagonal into 12 1-inch thick pieces. Put the cookies back on the cookie sheet and bake 5 minutes. Turn the cookies over and bake the other side for another 5 minutes. Store cookies in an airtight container.

These are so fabulous with Coffee or hot cocoa!  At Christmas time I did make some with Pistachios but that to I altered! {wink!}

No comments: