Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mini Pancake Muffins

My kids love breakfast.  Tyler would eat breakfast all day!  Well except for when its My idea to have pancakes for breakfast, then he thinks it’s a bad idea.  But if he came up with it, he would be all over them.  Tyler can easily eat 3-4 pancakes in a sitting.  My kids love these:

Over at Food facts.com they scored a 47 so they are not good or bad.  They have a lot of “Extras” added to them so they can live on the shelf at your grocery store for months (ick just think about it, would you eat a muffin that is 2months old? then why would you eat these?)  One thing I can tell you about these little processed muffins – they are pricey.  Aldi’s carries them for a reasonable price but most stores around here are 3.99 for 4-5 bags (each bag has like 4 mini muffins).

That is when I came across this:

Mini chocolate chip pancake muffins

Now this is something I can work with!

So I came up with Kristen’s version!!

Chocolate Chip Pancake Muffins.

What you need:

  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup Wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Vanilla Sugar
  • 2/3 cup Whole Milk ( or you could try the buttermilk)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp of maple extract (I didn’t add this but I will next time, maybe because I didn’t you real maple syrup)
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 24 mini muffin pan
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugars in a medium bowl. Sift together with a wire whisk.
  3. In another bowl, stir milk, egg, maple syrup and melted butter until just combined.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until combined.
  5. Stir in chocolate chips. Reserve a few chips to sprinkle on the tops.
  6. Bake for 8-9 minutes.

Let them cool slightly before trying to get them out of the pan. I used a spoon to loosen the edges and scoop them up. 

I have 2 mini muffin pans, each one makes a different size muffin.  I doubled the batch and it made 43 muffins for me,  24 bigger ones and 19 smaller ones.  I filled the bigger pan first!

Tyler ate 3 while I was trying to get them out of the pans.  So I would say it was a well liked muffin!  I am going to freeze some to take with us on an upcoming overnight trip.  But they will be perfect during the week for breakfast with a yogurt or fruit. 

I know they would appeal to so many more people if they were made with all white flour but its not going to kill you to do half and half.  I think you wouldn’t even taste it if I had used the real maple syrup.

How cute would they be for a bunch??!  Make the batter the night before and just bake that morning!!

ENJOY

No comments: