Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chicken Marsala + crockpot + 2 night's dinners

Day 1 – Crockpot Chicken Marsala
My mother in law and I have been playing pass the crock pot. Last week I made her and Bernie a beef and bean stoup.  She returned it with Chicken Marsala!   She used the Crockpot guys recipe from here http://crockpotguys.com/2011/09/chicken-marsala-carrabbas-style/
It was great to walk into the house and smell it cooking.  I am a big fan of the crock pot and think that we should have a national holiday for the inventor!
For me it was the perfect cheat meal a day after running a 10K! It had protein, but the gluttony of fat from cream and butter.  And then you could add the carb of your choice!  As I just reread the instructions I realized I added way too much of the heavy cream in my rush to get out the door to swim lessons.  Oops.
Mine didn’t thicken up that much – but that was my fault I had it on high for the 1st 2 hours.  And then it sat on warm for 2 extra hours while we were ate swim lessons with the extra liquid volume from the cream (I really need to learn to read).   
I would defiantly make this again and recommend it.  However,  to save some inches on my hips I would add the right amount of cream, and cup the butter by a lot.   Here is a good one I may try too http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/chicken-and-mushrooms-in-garlic-white.html
Day 2 – Wild Marsala Soup
We had alot left over and I certainly cannot afford to eat this 2 days in a row.  I could allow the calories but I have been a bad girl and enjoying the seasonal cider donuts a bit too much; one on Sunday and one this morning.  (BAD KRISTEN!)
I decided to make it into a soup!  I added another can of broth to the Crockpot, to cut the cream sauce.  Then I added 2 cups of steamed carrots, 1 cup of celery, and two cups of wild rice.  For seasoning I added: ½ tsp of sea salt, 1 tsp of freshly cracked black pepper, ½ tablespoon of oregano, 1 tsp of nutmeg and pinch of paprika.  I shredded the remaining chicken and returned it to the Crockpot.   It smelled so yummy!  Now my crockpot is full again!
 We will probably eat it tonight for dinner – we will be getting home late.  David has a tree job till dark (although its dark by 7pm lately) and I will not be home from the gym till after 5 – pick up the kids it will be after 530 or 6pm.  Any leftovers I am planning to freeze  in either lunch size servings or as a batch. I have those frozen zucchini calzones that would be good with this on a rainy night.
I will try to add photos later!

No comments: