Sunday, August 7, 2011

Zucchini Tomato Feta Tart

 

My garden has started producing zucchini.  But then it stalled out because of the lack of rain.  However I am sure it will start pumping more out this week with all the rain I took the chance today to do some cooking.  3 Zucchini lasagnas, 2 of Zucchini tomato Feta tarts and shortly a few calzones.

284555_10150258331625847_563920846_7611748_6478257_s[1]

I took my inspiration from a few fellow bloggers.  This one, which I may make sometime, you know as it is instructed.  and then there is this one, which I really did follow most of the filling but I do want to try their dough!!

To start, my time was limited and so I just used pie crust from the store.  Then onto the filling:

Filling:

2 Medium Plum tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 large or 2 small zucchinis, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil

2 Tablespoons of Feta cheese
1 medium garlic clove, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup (about 1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded mozzarella
1 tablespoon slivered basil leaves

Make filling: Spread the zucchini and tomatoes out over several layers of paper towels. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and the garlic together; set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, and 1 teaspoon of the garlicky olive oil together and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Prepare tart: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the bottom of the crust.

104

Shingle the zucchini attractively on top of the ricotta in concentric circles, starting at the outside edge. Then top with tomatoes layers and sprinkle with Feta cheese and basil.  Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of the garlic and olive oil mixture evenly over the zucchini. Fold the border over the filling, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open.

105

Bake the tart until the cheese is puffed, the zucchini is slightly wilted and the crush is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for 5 minutes,  serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

106

It was good but room for improvement – stay tuned for an update!  I am thinking I need to increase the Feta.

No comments: