Saturday, April 16, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

One of my favorite dinner to make is stuffed peppers.  I like the taste but also the fact that I can so easily make them the night before.  It allows all the flavors to blend and then I just need to heat them up!  Here how I make them…

I start by cutting 3 red peppers in half and cleaning out the seeds.  I then place them under the broiler  until the skin starts to blister.  I flip them and cook the inside too!

Meanwhile the stuffing!!

I brown up about a pound of ground meat (beef, chuck, venison, turkey-whatever you like).  While its browning I add a 1/2 of a red onion finely chopped, and a few shakes of Worchester sauce.  Once its cooked I drain off any fat that’s in pan.  Note that if I use ground turkey I add to slices of turkey bacon.

To the pan I add: 1 med. zucchini chopped, 1 cup of cooked brown rice, grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half (you can use diced tomatoes too), salt, pepper, oregano, basil, Roasted garlic fresh mushrooms, and  1/2 cup of salsa.

Once everything is warm and mixed together I sprinkle in some cut green onions.

007

At this point I could just eat it with a spoon out of the pan!  If want you can add more salsa if its too dry for you.  I like to stuff the peppers with the mixture then top each with a spoonful of extra salsa on top instead.   To top off your pepper you can sprinkle some Mexican cheese and/or sour cream.

So that’s how I make mine..how do you make yours?

No comments: