Sunday, January 24, 2010

CWK: Sunday cooking - Mexican stuffed shells

Cooking with Kristen (CWK) Episode 2~! PHOTOS BY TYLER!

Sundays are a great day to cook for the week! In about 1 hours time this morning i made Stuffed Mexican Shells for tonight, had Monday nights dinner 90% complete and Tuesdays started. All because of planning ahead~

For tonight I made Mexican Stuffed Shells. I found the idea in my cooking light cookbook but I of course changed it to fit me!!

You will need:
1lb Lean ground beef
24 jumbo Shells
1 1/2 Cups of Roasted Red pepper sauce
1/2 cup of corn
1/2 can of black beans
sliced black olives
sliced green onions
Fat Free shredded Cheddar cheese
Sour Cream (optional)

I made my Roasted red pepper sauce (find the directions here). Start by browning the ground beef and cooking the noodles. I drained the beef and returned it to the pan. Then added about 1 1/2 cups of the red pepper sauce, 1/2 of a bag of corn, and 1/2 can of black beans (drained and rinsed twice).

Cook the mixture for about 3-5 minutes. Then I scooped the mixture into the shells, its very hot, you may want to wait a minute or two!.

I lightly sprinkled green onions, black olives and the low fat cheese over the shells.
Once dinner time rolled around, I heated dinner in 350 oven. Based on taste pour the remaining sauce over the shells and added sour cream.

So I am bad at measuring food, these are my best estimates. I just cook, a little of this a little of that! As for the corn each summer we freeze corn (See here) so i used a 1/2 bag for this.

Time saving tips: I only used 1/2 the corn and beans, I saved them for the shrimp tacos i will be making later this week. Also, while I was cutting green onion I cut up a few more and saved them for the Ham Pasta and shrimp tacos!

Mondays are a difficult for everyone. So while the hamburg was cooking I sliced up the veggies for my Ham Pasta. I threw them in a pan to cook while I stuffed my shells. I also had some Chicken stock left from my roasted red pepper sauce so I made a Parmesan sauce for the pasta. Now all that is left for tomorrow night is for us to cook the pasta and assemble the meal...that will be episode 3!

Everything ready for the week!

No comments: